Sunday 20 April 2008

Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

It is estimated Barcelona will run out of running water by October this year. This is due to severe droughts in the city and lead to the import of water. Despite this, every night the streets in the centre are washed down by Government employed workers.

Although, the water in Barcelona is not safe to drink, this has lead me to re-think my position on the issue of bottled water. I used to believe that it was a pointless and expensive luxury, of which we were paying the price with the consequences on the environment. I still believe this, but only for countries who's drinking water is safe to drink, such as the UK. Here in Spain, it is normal to purchase bottled water - it is extremely cheap at about 6pence a litre but still not environmentally sound.

Over the last two months, I have been collecting the bottles of water I have consumed:




This is most of the water I have consumed since my arrival in Barcelona.



Illustrating the problem in Barcelona.

And over two months I have consumed at least:


Litres of water!!!!

Maybe, with 3 months still to go, I should just collect the bottle tops?

1 comment:

RT said...

dork! you should just do the bottle tops i think!